By ABC Roofing, Apr 3 2020 11:05PM
April showers bring May flowers, but they can also wreak havoc on your home
It’s the time of year for Spring storms. Is your home ready? We’ve compiled a simple list for you to ensure your homes exterior can withhold the high winds and heavy rain this season.
Taking some time out of your busy schedule to check your home will help reduce your risk of damage.
• Walk the perimeter: The easiest (and quickest way) is to walk around the perimeter of your house. Check for loose or missing shingles. These will be obvious.
• Lifted shingles: Be sure to look for lifted shingles. Nail pops are the most common cause of lifted shingles and make it very easy for wind to tear the shingles off with high winds. It also make sit easier for a leak to occur because the nail is lifted and no longer protected by the shingle which could allow water to intrude during heavy rain
• Critter damage: Look for holes in your roof from critters. The most common areas are at the gutter lines, ridge cap (on top of your roof), and at the soffits
• Loose siding: If your siding is loose, odds are the wind will come through and either tear it partially away from your home or rip it from the home altogether
• Combat leaks: Caulking eventually fails, it’s just an unfortunate fact. Caulking expands and contracts with the seasons, causing separating from the area. This usually happens around pipe boots, vents, and around windows.
• Resealing these areas will help to reduce your risk of a leak
• To avoid roof damage from a fallen tree limb, trim tree branches that hang near the roofline, if you’re safely able.
Gutters and Downspouts
Clogged gutters and downspouts can cause a multitude of problems such as:
• Water overflow. Debris on your gutters does allow your gutters to function properly. Water cannot flow away from your home and will, in most cases, flow right over the gutter which can cause issues if you have a basement or crawl space. This can also cause your gutters to back up and water has nowhere to go other then, you guessed it, inside your home. This is especially common with steep roofs.
• Clogged downspouts: Even if your gutters are clear, clogged downspouts prevent the water from exiting the gutter system. This is especially true for inground units or extenders. This could eventually spell bug problems.
Issues with an improperly maintained chimney are often mistaken for a roof leak. Check for:
• Cracks or holes in the mortar. Even a pinpoint hole can cause water intrusion
• Chimney caps: Rusted or missing chimney caps allow water to come down your chimney, on walls, or into a ceiling- depending on where the chimney is located
Obviously, we urge safety first! If you cannot safely access your roof to perform a check, most roofing contractor Indianapolis offer Roof Maintenance Packages. A Roof Maintenance Package typically includes all of what we suggested.
Our team is trained to spot the most complex and preventative issues that may cause you issues in the long run. Call or email us today to schedule your annual roof maintenance.