Purchasing A New Home? 5 Things You Should Know About The Roof Before You Buy
Are you considering purchasing a new home? It's a tough decision that comes with a lot of consideration. Which neighborhood is the best? What are the schools like? But, have you ever thought about the roof and what problems a bad roof may bring you in the future?
Installing a new roof can be costly which is the last thing you need to worry about after you're all moved in. There are many factors when assessing the roof, not just the appearance of the shingles. We have compiled a list of some of the most important things to consider about the roof before you buy.
1. When was the last time the roof was replaced? This is important, not only becasue you don't want that out of pocket, but how long is the warranty going to be good for should you have issues?
2. Is the roof warranty transferable? Some roofing shingles do not come with a transferable warranty and if the previous owner did not purchase the extended warranty, you may be out of luck.
3. If the roof has not been replaced; how many layers are on the roof? Code for the state of Indiana is 2 layers. Most people abide by this while others do not. You can bet this will be an extra cost when it comes to tear off of the existing roof.
4. Is the roof deck in good shape? If the roof has not been replaced in some time or has several layers you will want to have someone get in your attic and inspect the decking. Roof decking is not cheap and is very important to the life and health of your roof.
5. Is there adequate ventilation or condensation issues in the home? Your roof needs to breath. At ABC Roofing we install "roofing systems", meaning we don't sell you the roof, get our money and run. Your roof is important. Ventilation is apart of our "system". Inproper ventilation will decrease the life of your roof, could lead to condensation issues, rotted wood/decking and ultimately mold. This will also, in most cases, void your material warranty through the shingle manufacturer.
Bottom line, make sure you are protected before purchasing your dream home. Don't just take the word of the seller or their inspector. Have the roof and ventilation inspected by a professional and save yourself potentially large out of pocket expenses down the road. If any problems are found this may also benefit you when negotiating the price of the home.
Call ABC Roofing Co., Inc. today for your FREE roof and ventilation evaluation. With over 40 years experience, our team of experts are here when you need them. Your home is just as important to us as it is to you!